This post has no image.

 Except for the ones that inhabit my memory. 

For many years I was a teacher of sorts. I worked in art departments. I met many young people and some of them became friends. One never knows how these things work, how interactions can have such lasting effects. A chance meeting is all it takes. I made a friend in Andy McIntyre, during our time together at Madeley Court School in Telford. He came to class, he came to tea. He had a lot on his plate and he wasn't the only one. Somewhere in the maelstrom he found a quiet but exciting space, a vision of possibilities. I recognised his rush to devour ideas and make progress. He was one of those for whom school can be daunting, almost not fit for purpose. I think art gave him purpose and he became a teacher who gave that gift to others. 

I have no idea why, so far from home, he decided not to go on with his life. I can see him still, hear him still. A walk in the cold, tea and cake. Friendship. A chance meeting.Sometimes that is all it takes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End of summer.1. A post in three parts.

Face to Face.

End of summer 3.