No fixed abode.


100x100cms



65x78 cms



80x80cms



110x80cms



100x100cms



100x100cms



80x80cms



80x80cms




A lot of artists work is instantly recognisable. One gets a sense that they know what they are about. They have a way of working. I do like to look people up to see whether their work has changed over the years: mine has. The focus has been very different at times. It has come to me though that I am now where I began at fifteen or so and that although I did not want a landscape painter label that is precisely what I have become: a painter of landscape. Now that I have come to terms with it, I think that I am okay with it and that all the feelings of being in fields and among trees is what it has been all about all along.
These images are not in any order and the last one is not last even though I have been working on it a while, because number six is. In fact the two occupied me at one and the same time - perhaps they are equal last. I swing back and forth and there are drawings that veer toward representation and drawings which are anything but. They are not preparatory drawings but they must in some way inform the paintings and it is good to take time out from painting to draw. I think that the things in my head are a jumble: it often seems that there is no direction. I spent a morning just sitting and looking at the paintings and wondering how to strengthen them. I envy those with clear ideas because a lot changes between approaching a bare canvas and starting work and there is an awful lot of chaos to get through. There is an ordering and reordering of shapes: things are moved and scale is altered and a lot of editing takes place. I garden the same way.








 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End of summer.1. A post in three parts.

Face to Face.

End of summer 3.