Painting now


 Painting now is, as ever, about all sorts of things: it may also be questioned as having any meaning at all but for me to find some meaning I am rereading the Austrian philosopher, Martin Buber and in I and Thou find the following: We are told that man experiences his world. What does this mean? Man goes over the surfaces of things and experiences them. He brings back from them some knowledge of their condition - an experience. He experiences what there is to things. Those who experience do not participate in the world. For the experience is"in them" and not between them and the world. The world does not participate in experience. It allows itself to be experienced, but it is not concerned, for it contributes nothing, and nothing happens to it. Therefore in my experiencing of , in my entering into relation with the world, I make of it what I will and the relationship becomes one which only I in my own way can experience but in doing so it may happen that another can find their way to experience that which is presented to them. Perhaps that then is the meaning of painting now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End of summer.1. A post in three parts.

Face to Face.

End of summer 3.