End of summer.1. A post in three parts.


                                                        late garden.  oil on canvas. 170x150cm


I am reading The Sound of Sleat The life of an artist, John Schueler , edited by Magda Salveson and Diane Cousineau. It is one of those books which sits almost but not quite unnoticed on ones bookshelves until some moment prompts us to open it and begin to read.

The painting here, which predates beginning The Sound of Sleat by some weeks and has no connection with Schueler's own work never the less does seem to herald a shift once more in my approach to my painting. Although I am close up again to the surface and work close up so that I am not aware of the rectangle it still has a recessional space, still invites participation in the perceived experience of a garden.
This first of three still eluded me in that I wanted even more confrontation, more shallow space in fact.
Hence the move to the next painting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Face to Face.

End of summer 3.